Open up a fantastic collection of poems and short stories from burgeoning and established writers of The Poetry Salon, Los Angeles. This anthology features a wide array of poems from some of L.A.s most exciting writers, including winners of Rattle’s Neil Postman Award for Metaphor, The Cincinnati Review’s Robert and Adele Schiff Poetry Contest, Beyond Baroque Poetry Contest, and several Pushcart Prize nominations.
Covering the spectrum of the poetic arts, they reach right to the modern edge of the form.These works are the product of six years of intensive, in-person and online classes, ecourses, readings and retreats at the Poetry Salon, a thriving community of artists supporting one another’s growth in a safe, nurturing environment. The Salon features ongoing online and one-day classes, two-years of original curriculum, lots of direct feedback and plenty of laughter and heart-centered sharing. We are proud to present this sterling collection of the work made by the dedicated writers who have put their trust in this organization.
In Method and Mystery Tresha Faye Haefner, M.A. Humanistic Psychology/Creativity Studies and founder of teaching institute The Poetry Salon explores the fascinating, unpredictable and enriching process of facilitating a poetry writing workshop. She offers clear insight into how teachers can create the ideal conditions for their students to access that most mysterious of realms, the place from which inspiration springs.
This book is for both independent and institutional writing teachers who want a new, research-based approach to take their students to deep places. Teachers will receive:
• Penetrating insights about their proper role in the creative process
• Guidelines for how to set ideal conditions for students to access authentic creativity, build confidence in their voice, and savor the profound thrill of making poetry
• Tried and true methods for helping students master essential techniques
• Practical, research-based tools for creating effective writing prompts that take writers to inspirational, unexpected places
• 60 ready-to-use writing prompts for all skill levels.
Contributors to Method and Mystery